Friday 28 August 2015

Week 7 Practical - Reviewing/Reflecting on Assignment

In reviewing the news story and media release assignment, I am needing to constantly remind myself of the simplistic language required in this sort of writing. I changed a few sentences around, so they made more sense and added in appropriate punctuation and fixed spelling errors. 

I had my red pen out, ready to make appropriate changes according to the Marking Key Checklist on Moodle, however I had no changes that needed to be made in regards to the writing style. Before I started writing the assignment, I had ensured that I fully understood the requirements of writing for media so I wouldn't make any mistakes and would complete the assignment to the highest standard. I was conscious of some key principles, such as only using 'said', not using semi colons and ensuring that speech is not mixed. Apart from that, the media writing style generally matches my usual writing style.

I think the checklist is extremely valuable, although it is always good to proofread work prior to submission, it makes it to much easier when you have a list of exactly what the marker will be looking for. This not only allowed me to proofread my assignment but look at it through the eyes of the marker. I think this will make a difference to my overall result as I have essentially been given the cheat sheet. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed the news story and media release assignment, although I initially struggled with writing so simply, I now appreciate how much journalists must have to draw back from what they want to write.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Monique,
    I read your post. I also think the checklist is extremely valuable.This post is really well written.

    ReplyDelete